Friday, December 6, 2013

Reflections from a senior



I looked at a calendar the other day and realized that I only have 2 days of class left this semester. My first reaction was “thank God! I’m ready for this semester to be over.” But then I realized that this is another one of those “lasts” you go through as a senior. My last, first semester, last course selection period, last winter break, etc. Although on one hand I am more than ready to be done with the classes and the homework, and start a real job, I also know that I am going to miss it here. 

I’ve loved it here since I first arrived for pre-orientation over four years ago where I met one of my best friends on, literally, my first day. Since then, we, along with all those other engineers in our grade have suffered through the ups and downs of our courses while trying to balance school and work with extracurriculars and a social life. Truthfully, it hasn’t always been easy and I don’t know how I would have gotten here without all the help from my friends both in and out of school. But I think that’s why I like it so much here, and what I’ll miss when I’m gone. Penn may be difficult but the people here are amazing. Instead of competing, they realize the best way to get through is work together. That camaraderie is something I saw when I came and visited while still in high school, and I’m glad to say has always been there throughout my four years at Penn. Without it, I might have gone crazy (though some might contest that I have done that anyway).

I wouldn’t really consider myself a sentimental person but when you can start to see the end of something that has been the center of your life for so long, it’s hard not to look back and think about what you should have or could have done. I myself, am happy to say that I have no real regrets about my time here – sure I’ve done some silly things, but it’s college; who hasn’t? And yes, there are some things I still want to do (like go to D.C.) but I figure that’s what my final semester is for. I’m looking forward to having a (hopefully) more relaxing semester – only four classes – doing some more exploring and traveling, and then graduating in May. 

Questions for Patricia?  Email her at awe@seas.upenn.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment